After the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, which protected the basic human right to abortion services for all birthing people, we’re leaning into what we know and what we do best to help our impacted communities — listen to their leadership and resource them as they navigate this new reality.
While Minnesota is still a legal state for abortion access, soon we’ll be an abortion haven and expect to see an increasing number of people traveling to our state to seek reproductive services as neighboring states have laws that either ban or limit access to abortions. Those who are Black, Indigenous, rural, immigrant and other communities already at the margins will be most impacted as their lives are at risk from either death or criminalization. In coalition with gender equity and reproductive justice funders across the U.S., we’ve made the bold commitment and signed the philanthropic pledge to protect abortion and reproductive healthcare access. At the state-level, Governor Tim Walz signed an executive order that goes into effect immediately which “commands state agencies not to assist other states’ attempts to seek civil, criminal or professional sanctions against anyone seeking, providing or obtaining legal abortion services in Minnesota.”
Here are some ways you can take action:
- Invest in service providers leading on the frontlines. Organizations exist in our state and around the country that have decades of experience in caring for the health and safety of the people they serve, such as our grantee-partners Our Justice, Annex Teen Clinic, Family Tree Clinic, WeARE, We Health Clinic, Just the Pill, and Planned Parenthood North Central States. Through our Community Response Fund, WFMN supports their leadership to meet increased demand and can respond quickly to emerging community needs and programs that ensure safe and healthy lives.
- Trust, value, and protect the bodily autonomy of all people and the decisions they make about their bodies and for their families and their lives.
- Stand with communities leading advocacy and direct services for reproductive justice. We believe in the leadership of our partner organizations, leaders, and the movement for reproductive justice such as the organizing work of UnRestrict Minnesota, a multi-racial coalition of LGBTQ+ advocates, faith communities, clinicians, activists, doctors, abortion funds, lawyers, organizers, healthcare clinics, doulas, podcasts, and more. We will continue working to increase access and remove barriers so that all people have the freedom to choose their futures – including those from surrounding states who come to Minnesota seeking care.
- Dismantle the stigma around our bodies and our health, tell our stories, and increase access to all forms of reproductive care, including comprehensive sex education. In Greater Minnesota, where access to care is severely limited, and in all communities, we must invest in the expertise of the healthcare providers and grassroots funds such as National Network of Abortion Funds, that are ensuring positive experiences, access and care on the frontlines, and who are continually listening to meet the needs of the people they serve.
- Vote! When you vote, consider the people and policies that will create equity and justice for women, girls, and gender-expansive people. Review candidates’ proposals for building economic security and safety across race, ethnicity, gender, and geography. Hold incumbent candidates accountable for their commitment and record on creating change for neighbors who are most impacted by their work. Contact your legislators and make your views known. Find your legislators at gis.lcc.mn.gov/iMaps/districts/
In our collective spirit of generosity and those who fought for our rights and freedoms before us, we’re holding onto hope and courage. Now more than ever, we need you on our side and on the right side of history.