About the Project
The Status of Women & Girls in Minnesota project is an ongoing, collaborative research project of the Women’s Foundation of Minnesota in partnership with the University of MN Humphrey School’s Center on Women & Public Policy. The project systematically examines key indicators for women and girls in Minnesota, thereby raising public awareness of issues important to the lives of women and girls. An important component of the project is expanding the availability of data on gender and increasing the capacity of organizations and individuals to make use of the data.
In partnership with Social Explorer, we have created Gender Equality Explorer so users can do their own analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data collected through the American Community Survey.
The Status of Women & Girls in Minnesota project provides a significant resource about the status of women and girls in Minnesota and identifies policy solutions for decision makers by:
- providing ongoing, trend analysis;
- integrating cross-sector teams to assist in data provision and review of women’s status;
- increasing the number of agencies and researchers applying a gender lens to existing data;
- expanding the availability of data on women and girls;
- enlarging the focus on data based problem and solution identification; and
- improving policy responses to the needs of women and girls.
Four ongoing working groups are a key component of the project. Working groups are aligned with Women’s Foundation of Minnesota’s funding areas:
- Economics(including education and provision of a safety net in housing, childcare and other areas);
Each working group consists of research staff from community organizations and government agencies, scholars from Minnesota colleges and universities, funders and philanthropists, opinion leaders, and policy makers. Working groups are designed to share knowledge, form a critical network, identify sources of information, review available data, identify what we should measure that we are not currently, and analyze the implications of the data for public policy.
Read and/or download our latest research now. >> 2014 Status of Women & Girls in Minnesota